Monday, September 5, 2016

Fifty's Jewelry, Now an Heirloom Rosary

When I began collecting jewelry in the 80s and 90s, it was because I loved beads.  Beads of every color, but particularly crystal beads.  My mom always loved jewelry and had boxes of bead necklaces given to her by my dad in the 50s and 60s and earlier.  We would look through these boxes together and talk about one, then another.  I know it was her love of jewelry that encouraged my love of beads. 
 

The one decade rosary (above) that I finished last night and posted in my online storefront today at Etsy (LetOurLightShine) was one of those beautiful beads, transformed from a 50s necklace into this beautiful rosary.  Most of the glass and crystal beads during that period was Swarovski, Czech or Bohemian, Murano or Venetian, and West German.  This rosary combines the beautiful pink glass beads and Swarovski pink bicone and round beads.  Unfortunately, once these glass beads are gone, they are difficult to find.  

I am thankful that I collected beads because I love making rosaries and the design combinations are endless.  

The thing that stands out in my mind the most is that jewelry styles come and go but rosary beads are a link between you and your prayers and many are passed down through generations. I hope that the rosary and chaplets I design become a meaningful part of someone's prayer life and are heirlooms that they or a loved one will treasure forever.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

It has been a few months since I last posted a blog.  I have a few ideas that I haven't worked out but I am working.  I don't know i...