Wednesday, August 31, 2016

The Perfect Gift

If you are like me, you are always on the lookout for a special gift ...the perfect gift. 

Years ago, when I was looking for a rosary for a special occasion, I would look at the Christian or Catholic Gift Store.  Even though they would have several to choose from, my eyes would always be drawn to the crystal bead rosaries. They were not the Swarovski crystals but were usually Czech glass. I always found something beautiful but in the back of my mind, I was always looking for something more striking and full of color. 

I begin collecting beads from the 50s and 60s with my mom.  She had several necklaces made with beautiful crystal beads that my father had given her for a special occasion. These were made of Swarovski crystals.  Admiring her beads, we began looking for Austrian crystal beads in second hand shops.  When we would find a set of crystal beads, we would add it to our collection. The collection of beads grew but with having young children, teaching full time, and other responsibilities, the collection of beads remained stored away with other art and craft items. 

This year, when looking through my beads, I began thinking about using the crystals and other vintage beads to make rosaries.  Having had previous jewelry making experience, I knew the technique in making wire rosaries. Something just kept nudging me to get started.

One morning, I woke up and the first thought through my mind was to make the rosaries and name my store Let Your Light Shine. When I investigated this name, I found it was taken in online terms.  Having felt led to name my store along the lines of the verse Matthew 5:16 and many other verses in the Bible that encourage us to let our light's shine, I decided to change the YOUR to OUR and that is why I named my rosary store and purchase the domain name (website) LetOurLightShine.us.  

https://www.etsy.com/listing/456361936/rosary-handmade-catholic-gift-amber?ref=shop_home_active_3

Once I felt this strong direction to create this online store, I knew why I had collected and saved these beads from so many years ago.  
As I design each rosary, I look through all of the boxes of beads and match the beads that I feel are made for the next design.  To me, each design is a work of art.  Each rosary is unique in that I don't order matching sets of beads, which is great for someone else,  but I only use the wide assortment of vintage beads of my own, to mix and match until I find the perfect design.  Even if I ran out of my own collection of beads, which won't be for a long time, I would continue to purchase vintage beads because I feel like this is what I'm suppose to be doing to Let Our (My) Light Shine.  Its my gift.

Every person looking for a rosary has an eye for something special.  My goal is not to get rich or mass produce a design.  My goal is to create a unique rosary that will be an heirloom in your family or a loved one's family.  The money I make will be used to buy more supplies to make more rosaries. It is my prayer that my rosaries will be an inspiration to you or someone special to pray more and focus more on the power of prayer in your life. 

Matthew 18:20 - For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

It has been a few months since I last posted a blog.  I have a few ideas that I haven't worked out but I am working.  I don't know i...