Friday, October 20, 2017

What kind of jewelry wire do you use?

I don't know about you but whenever it is time to start a new wire-wrap project, the first thing I look for is the size and type of wire that I will be using.  If money were no object, I guess I would choose pure gold and silver but since that is not the case, then I need to pick the wire that best suits my project and makes the items affordable for me, as the designer, and those visiting my online store.

We all have favorite types of wire and of course find new types of wire along the way but for now, I will be sharing some of my favorite types of wire.

I don't endorse any company or get kickbacks from sharing certain brands.  I like reading what other artists use when they are sharing from their heart, not their purse. However, you may be able to recognize the brand from the details that I share.

I LOVE copper based wire.  There is a company that I use most of the time that makes over 190 different sizes and styles of copper based wire.  It will depend greatly on how you are using the wire in your design but for me, most of my designs use wire wrapping.  I need the wire to be sturdy enough to be used as a bracelet or rosary, to name a few, but also look gorgeous and smooth as the wire is wrapped, trimmed, and given a smooth edge.  The KEY is to find "tarnish resistant".  This means that they have coated the top metal with a protective coating that will keep the metal from turning color.  I have bought silver for many years and have been so disappointed when it turned to a lovely dark color a few weeks after purchase.  If you don't mind that discoloration then the plain metal is for you but I prefer the protected wires that keep the metal the same bright and shiny color for a long time, especially if you keep the item in an air tight container or zip lock bag. I use the silver and brass over copper with the tarnish resistant coating.

If I am looking for one of the strongest wires, for some of my rosaries, I choose a stainless steel wire.  The stainless steel is so strong that it makes callouses on my hands. I use the 20 gauge for a regular wrap but if I am going to wrap several times around the wire, I will go to the 22 gauge.  Both are amazingly strong and should never change in their appearance.  It has a nice handsome silver color and yet is very light in weight and STONG.

One of the newest wires that I'm using is nickel silver.  It is easy to work with like copper based wire and holds its shape but has a sterling silver color.  The surprise for me was that it has absolutely no silver in it.  It polishes up beautifully. (Note:  I just finished a one decade rosary with the nickel silver and LOVED the way it looks!)

The two wires that I use the most are silver over copper along with brass over copper.  Both have the tarnish resistant coating and I have used them for years and they still look beautiful.







No comments:

Post a Comment

It has been a few months since I last posted a blog.  I have a few ideas that I haven't worked out but I am working.  I don't know i...