Thursday, October 5, 2017

Vintage and New Swarovski Crystal Beads

In many of my designs, I use vintage and new Swarovski beads. I believe they are ALL absolutely beautiful.  When Swarovski originally designed these beautiful crystal beads, he said he wanted everyone to be able to afford a "diamond".  The idea being that his crystals looked like diamonds but were affordable. 

The following two sets of beads are in two bracelets that I have on my site, Let Our Light Shine. Each are beautiful in their on unique way.  One is vintage - one is new. Could you tell the difference?

Now, these two sets of photos do not have duplicate beads so the comparison is not exact, however, I share the two comparison sets of beads to share the beauty of both. The first photo is Aurora Borealis which gives the rainbow shimmer on each bead but the second design is not Aurora Borealis so you can see the visual difference.  Otherwise, both are turquoise, close in color, and have beautiful cut and design, looking completely uniform in every way, flawless.  
The first photo is a vintage pair of Swarovski 5000 round AB (Aurora Borealis) turquoise beads. They are vintage and I have had them in my collection for over twenty years.  Each bead is exactly like the next in that group and you see no bubbles within the bead; no flaws. 

The second photo is made with NEW turquoise Swarovski 5000 beads.  The beads in both photos are 8mm.  The new Swarovski beads are also flawless and have no air bubbles within the beads.  The facets all match and each bead is exactly like the next in that size, color, and shape.

In September 2012, Swarovski introduced a crystal which was virtually lead free.  I prefer to use Swarovski frequently in my designs as it is the most beautiful bead, in my opinion.  When I use other beads, if the design allows, I always include a Swarovski bead in the design.

If you want to read more about Swarovski beads, here are a couple of links for your reading pleasure:

https://www.swarovski.com/Web_US/en/brand

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swarovski



1 comment:

  1. If I remember, the second color was called "light turquoise". The middle bead is closer to the actual color of the bead, though the pictures never seem to do it justice.

    ReplyDelete

It has been a few months since I last posted a blog.  I have a few ideas that I haven't worked out but I am working.  I don't know i...